Welcome to the SCUTTLE™ Community
Your home for mobile robotics research & education.
What is SCUTTLE™ ?
SCUTTLE™ is a modular, open-source robotics platform originating in a basement lab at Texas A&M, designed by “Makers” – students & engineering staff for a flexible, extensible, durable, and affordable platform to teach the Mobile Robotics Engineering course.
The SCUTTLE project was developed alongside teaching curriculum for the first course in Multidisciplinary Engineering degree program, opened up in 2018. We found no affordable solutions on the market which could meet the learning objectives including sensors, mechanical design, and software. To bridge the gap between the theory and practice, we kicked off the development of the SCUTTLE platform! We decided to share everything publicly to lower barriers of entry to robotics. We started an ecosystem for prototyping amongst hobbyists, companies, and academic institutions world-wide. The result of that effort is a robot with strong autonomous capability, IoT connectivity, and payload performance; backed by a supportive Open-Source Community and easily available design documentation.
The SCUTTLE design requires ZERO fabrication and to be sourced from parts available world-wide at low cost. All documentation to build your own SCUTTLE can be found through our site.
Why SCUTTLE® ?
- Payload ► Unparalleled 40kg payload to carry anything you may add to it.
- Download Comparison Sheet
- Modular ► Easily swap any subassembly; we even teach you how
- Performance ► 6-hour battery, reliable kinematics, 0.2mm odometry
- Built for Makers ► Widely-adopted hardware, electronics, & software.
- Customization ► 100% 3D printed and off-the-shelf hardware, saving cost and maintenance.
- Industry-ready ► A platform for learning that truly supports industrial use.
- Hands-On learning that’s affordable, safe, & documented.
- Popular robotics components, leveraging the very best online resources.
- Learn mainstream mechatronics!
- Raspberry Pi, Lithium Ion Batteries, IoT.
- Over 100 free how-to videos for hardware and software.
- Eliminate machining and custom fabrication. Use the simplest tools!
- 3D Print your own add-ons with any desktop printer free DIY Add-Ons
- Advance your research with Edge AI, & Machine Learning
Full Bill of Materials and Documentation are available for free, always.
Source your own parts or get up and running faster by purchasing a kit here!
Between community members and university partnerships SCUTTLE continues to evolve.
Built on leading tech from TI, Microsoft, Panasonic, and more!