What is SCUTTLE™ ?
SCUTTLE™ is a ROS Ready robotics platform originating from a critical need at Texas A&M for a flexible, extensible, durable, and affordable robot to support the university’s Mobile Robotics Undergraduate Engineering course.
Through the development of the course the Texas A&M team found no affordable solutions on the market which could meet the learning objectives which were grounded in creating and teaching practical use cases for robotics. In order to meet the goal of the course to better bridge the gap between the theoretical and practical worlds we kicked off the development of the SCUTTLE platform! Early on we determined that the specifications and design would be shared publicly to lower the barriers of entry to robotics with a practical platform that could be effectively used for prototyping amongst hobbyists, companies, and academic institutions world-wide. The result of that effort is a robot with strong autonomous capability, IoT connectivity, and payload performance; backed by a supportive Open-Source Community and easily available design documentation.
The original SCUTTLE design was iterated upon to require ZERO fabrication and to be sourced from parts available world-wide at low cost. All of the documentation to build your own Scuttle can be found through links right here.
Why SCUTTLE™ ?
- Exceptional 40kg payload capacity allows for widely varying applications.
- A baseline 4+ hour battery capacity with a modular/swappable design with ample headroom to extend runtime further.
- Built for use with widely adopted electronic components & interfaces allowing for easy expansion.
- Assembled from 100% 3D printed and consumer off-the-shelf hardware, saving cost and maintenance.
- Download a full comparison against the leading platforms
- Affordable, Safe, Hands-On Technology
- Integrates the most popular robotics components on the market, leveraging the very best online educators.
- Raspberry Pi, MQTT, Lithium Ion Batteries.
- Over 100 free how-to videos for hardware and software.
- No need for machine shop or fabrication to get started.
- Leverage your 3D Printer for free DIY Add-Ons
Full Bill of Materials and Documentation are available for free, always.
Source your own parts or get up and running faster by purchasing a kit here!
Between community members and university partnerships SCUTTLE continues to evolve.
Built on and ready to adopt leading hardware & software from TI, Microsoft, Panasonic, and more!